Homemade Mac & Cheese
Who loves Mac and Cheese?! I do! It is the ultimate comfort food, but unfortunately not the healthiest when it’s coming from a small cardboard box accompanied by powdered cheese ingredients. My Homemade Mac & “Cheese” is a great substitution for that traditional boxed mac and cheese craving and it’s also a great way to use up those veggies in the bottom of your fridge.
- ¼ Cup. White Onion Chopped
- ¼ Cup. Red Pepper Chopped
- 1 Cup. Carrots Sliced thin or grated
- 1 Small Clove of Garlic Minced
- 2 ½ Cups. Gluten-Free Macaroni Pre-Cooked
- ½ Tsp. Salt
- ¼ Tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 ½ Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Coconut Oil is fine as well)
- ¾ Cup. Cashew Milk (or any unflavoured Non-dairy Milk)
*Note: You will need a hand puree or blender for this recipe*
LET’S GET STARTED!
- Start by placing a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat with your olive oil added to heat up. Once the oil is heated, throw in your veggies (carrots, onions, red pepper and garlic). Saute until the carrots are fully cooked through (About 5-10mins). Remove from heat once done.
- Add your sauteed veggies to a bowl (If you will be using a hand puree) or a straight into the blender if you are using a blender. Then add in your cashew milk. Using your hand puree or blender, pulse until you have a creamy texture and all of your veggies are completely blended out.
- Now you can flavour your sauce by adding in your seasonings (nutritional yeast for the “cheesy” flavour, salt and black pepper). Mix well to combine flavours together. Go ahead and combine your pasta with your sauce in a bowl and mix until your pasta is fully coated in the creamy mixture. Serve and Top with some parsley or chives for added flavour and visual appeal! Enjoy!!